May 31, 2007

Goalie save percentage - 5 hole

Alan Ryder noted a pretty stupid mistake on my part with the data, so all the images were wrong. They are fixed now.

In advance I should apologize: there are 300KB of images being uploaded from my home server because I'm too lazy to upload them individually to blogger. These should take about 10 seconds to load.

I stripped the GameCenter information from CBS SportsLine. CBS records where on net the shots are directed. Now I'm not 100% satisfied with the integrity of the data and I excluded games in which the starting goaltender was replaced (so I don't have to figure which shots go to which goaltender).

All these display is the goalie's save percentage for each part of the net. I figured this might be interesting to some people.
Average:


KIPRUSOFF
BRODEUR
LUONGO
LEHTONEN
THOMAS
ROLOSON
FLEURY
RAYCROFT
LUNDQVIST
DIPIETRO
MILLER
KOLZIG
EMERY
KHABIBULIN
WARD
NIITTYMAKI
TURCO
BELFOUR
BUDAJ
GIGUERE
JOSEPH
NORRENA
HASEK
VOKOUN
HUET
MASON
NABOKOV
LEGACE
FERNANDEZ
HOLMQVIST
DENIS
BACKSTROM
AEBISCHER
TOSKALA
JOHNSON
THEODORE
GARON
GERBER
TELLQVIST
AULD
SANFORD
GRAHAME
BURKE
BRYZGALOV
LECLAIRE
CLOUTIER
THIBAULT
DUNHAM
BIRON
SMITH
TOIVONEN
HEDBERG
OSGOOD
HALAK
ESCHE
MARKKANEN
BACASHIHUA

Update: I color coded the shooting percentages to make it more obvious how the player is doing compared to the average in that region. Red = bad, green = good (darker = more intensely bad or good). Refresh to get new pictures.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought this was really neat until I realized that somthing is not quite right. Consider Luongo. His save percentages say that he allowed 20 goals in EACH zone. Can't be right. The same result for the other goalies.

JavaGeek said...

Thank-you. I appreciate the help fixing stupid mistakes.

Anonymous said...

How much trouble would it be for you to create the same tables but instead of by goalie do it by shooting team. I am curious about how much a teams ability to shoot high is a factor in a teams offense.

It would also be nice to look at individual shooters (at least for those with >25 goals) as well but that may be too much work.

Anonymous said...

You should flip the image for goalies that catch right (e.g. DiPietro) so it's not so misleading.

Anonymous said...

Back again ... The data for Luongo (sticking with him) yields a .902 save percentage on 1803 shots (176 goals). His season totals were 2169 shots, 171 goals and a save percentage of .921. Something does not compute here. I know you excluded games (but not many for Luongo I presume). And you said that data integrity was an issue. Comments?

JavaGeek said...

There was a total of 72,766 shots with the NHL.com data and 62,261 shots with the CBS data. Both databases had 7,082 goals. NHL.com save percentage: 0.903, CBS save percentage: 0.886

This is simply the result of the fact that live reporting is hard to do and you miss things.

JavaGeek said...

And I included shootout goals, maybe that's a mistake, I forgot about those.

Unknown said...

It'd be great to see what the league means are for each area. Someone is using Huet's graphic as an example that his "book" is correct to shoot high, however his numbers don't seem much lower than most other goaltenders up high.

Averages for the primary goaltenders of each team, or something like that, would be great.

JavaGeek said...

Iain:
I included the NHL averages in the post.

Anonymous said...

Just to draw your attention to the fact that the color coding only goes half way.

Anonymous said...

Now I know this is going to be potentially difficult, but has any correlation been done relative to left/right handedness of goalies? I.E is it generally true that low glove side, high blocker side are higher percentage areas to shoot at. Just looking at left/right from a shooters perspective is missing a key indigredient!!

Anonymous said...

go to bed

Anonymous said...

HI, We were just wondering what the numbers represented underneath the percentages. Is that the numbe of goals? and another question sorry... how many games is this being based on?

Anonymous said...

to ALAN RYDER, if you take the number below the percentage as the number of goals saved, not total goals, the number of shots in each hole averages about 5, which makes the numbers plausible

Unknown said...

Okay, that's some seriously cool technology and cool information. Great job. You should check out my goalie blog and see what you think.

http://www.life-of-a-goalie.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Wow, I just discovered your blog and the awesome goalie stats. This graphic and set of calculations is particularly impressive. Any chance of doing an update on the 2008-2009 season?

Unknown said...

I am trying to use this data for a computing project. Any chance you could put it back up again? It took me forever to find any kind of location based save percentage and now it looks like your site is down. Let me know! Thanks

Unknown said...

If you could get this data back up that would be fantastic! thanks!